Wednesday, March 10, 2010

I don't want to work anymore...

I have 40 minutes to go before I can clock out and head....to school. I'd rather head home, but Tuesdays and Wednesdsays are my on-campus class nights. Sometimes I think it's better to have a free night between them. It makes the long days easier to bear. Sometimes I think it's better to have them back-to-back like this semester, so I can get those long days over with in one go.

What would really be best if I didn't have to work and could just concentrate on my classes and not have any long days at all. But that's not going to happen.

The last week of the month and the first week/week and a half of the month are my busiest times. So I've been charging full steam ahead and overwhelmed for the past two and a half weeks. I'm TIRED. As of today, around noon, I've gotten to the point where all the urgent must-get-done-ASAP!!!! stuff is done and now I've a week and a half of less urgent things to occupy my time.

Or not. Occupy my time, that is. My job is an entry level one. I am not an entry level person. I can do a lot MORE than my job requires of me. I've tried to get them to let me do a lot more, but it doesn't happen. I've added aspects to my job that the bosses like, and which takes more of my time, but isn't really all that hard to do or figure out. So unless I'm absolutely buried...I get really, really bored. I tend to loaf. I end up doing just what I'm doing now: working on something that's for me and has nothing to do with work.

Why do employers do that? Why don't they use their employees to their fullest potential? Why are we pigeon-holed by job descriptions that only address one area of our skill set? And why won't they let us branch out if we 1) have the desire to do so, and 2) have the time to do so? It seems like a waste of everyone's time, and it's demoralizing to the employee. I much rather work at a job where I always have something to do.

Okay, must be fair. I have something to do right now. I just don't want to. I've an 8 inch stack of deposit batches I need to scan, rename the files, and save to the server. I need to make folders for March's deposit batches. The first will require standing on my feet at the copier for a significant length of time. I'll wait til Friday to do that job, since on that day I can wear tennis shoes. Today...I have 3.5 inch heels on. The folders...will take maybe half an hour to do - after I find someone to let me in the storage vault to get more hanging files. I can do that tomorrow.

There are also some researchy things I can do - but once I get deep into research, I don't like being interrupted. When you lose your train of thought, you almost have to start from the beginning again. With only 40 (now 30) minutes left in the day, researching anything is pointless. I'll just have to start all over again tomorrow.

So now I sit here, not wanting to work anymore, and booooooored. I know what I want to do, but like research, once I start writing I don't want to be interrupted. It would be more frustrating than rewarding at this point to open a story and start working on it just to close it out in half an hour.

I could make a grocery list. But that will just irritate me.

I could wander into someone else's office and kill time - but I hate when they do that to me when I'm working, so I won't do it to them.

Taking a nap is definitely out. Bosses frown on that. :)

Twenty minutes to go. I still don't want to work. But guess I'll have to find something to do, anyway!

1 comment:

  1. Anna:

    I know how you feel about being discontent in your job. I think it's a common feeling that many of us experience in our professional lives, which leads us to switch jobs and seek out better solutions.

    I think for people like us who are in school working toward a new career, it's easy to lose focus on our day job responsibilities. There are many days where I think, "If I have to write one more press release ..." or "I just can't write another product cut sheet!"

    Keep your head up - the fact that you're in college working toward a goal means you're halfway to reaching your potential!

    All the best!

    Jamie Lunt-Wilhelm
    English 226

    ReplyDelete