Friday, February 19, 2010

Five Hours To Go…

It’s been 23 years since I last viewed the world without glasses or contacts. More than 23 years since I viewed the world clearly with an unaided eye. Twenty-three years of being chained and shackled by a handicap that most people don’t even see as a handicap because of how prevalent it is.

People blessed with 20/20 vision can’t understand. They don’t have a common frame of reference, they can’t truly experience what it’s like to have imperfect vision. People with minor vision problems get a hint, but even they can’t really understand.

When I was 16, I accidentally ruined my glasses. My contacts had torn, and this was before the time when contacts became disposable. The pair you bought would have to last you until your next prescription because there was no throwing them away. So I had to go to school without my glasses. I made it to the classrooms by memory. I knew the general location and the path to take to get to each one. Reading what the teacher wrote on the board, however, or even writing notes was out. You can’t write when you’re nose is almost touching the paper, you know.

But leaving school that day is when the true enormity of my disability crashed in on me.

I couldn’t cross the street.

Even with myopia – nearsightedness – you can generally distinguish one blur of color from the next, to some extent. I discovered that’s not necessarily true. By the time a car got close enough for me to distinguish it’s out-of-place color from the general grey or blackness of the road, it was too late. I stood on the sidewalk and tried to compensate with my hearing – but the school’s parking lot was next to me and the sound of the cars there drowned out the sound of any oncoming cars. I could only stand there and cry as I realized just how helpless I was.

No one offered to help me. No one noticed my problem. I was still standing on the sidewalk by the street when the cars all left the school, and the brief pause between school letting out and the evening cruising of the street by teenagers began. I finally took a chance…and crossed the street. And cried for the mile walk home, taking a chance on each street that I crossed. There were two more busy streets on my route that could not be avoided, but which I tried to cross at points where they were less busy.

The next day I had my appointment with the optometrist. I asked him, “Just how bad are my eyes?” He’d only say, “You don’t want to know. But if they weren’t correctable, you’d be legally blind.”

I found out last week how bad my eyes are now. The opthamologist said they were ‘worse than’ 20/400, because that’s as high as they went on the one test I took for my LASIK evaluation. When I was discussing it with a friend later that night and told her my contact prescription, she translated it for me. At the time I was prescribed my contacts, my vision was 20/750.

I’ve spent most of my lifetime viewing the world through a blur, or through a limited tunnel of clear vision, surrounding by a blur. I can’t remember anymore what it’s like to wake up and see the time clearly. I can’t remember what it’s like to actually play a game outside and enjoy it without the discomfort of a pair of glasses sliding down my nose, jostling out of place, or flying off. Or not worrying that an eyelash might fall in my eye. Or being able to wear make up without ending up looking like a clown simply because I can’t see well enough to put it on – or can’t put it on around the glasses.

Children make fun of other children who wear glasses. “Four-eyes” and “nerd” were the common names when I was a kid. I’m sure they’ve gotten more imaginative since then.

Faulty eyesight is a handicap. It puts constraints and limits on your life that you come to hardly notice at all. In five more hours, I’ll be able to start living life without those hindrances…and you have no idea how much I’m looking forward to waking up tomorrow morning and seeing the clock.

I’ll miss the pretty light-globes, though….

4 comments:

  1. Six hours after LASIK...

    Oh. My. God.

    I CAN SEE!

    The procedure was not comfortable, but the worst part was the pressure when they put the suction cups over the eyes to slice the cornea. I felt like they were try to pop my eyeballs right out of the socket. I was also worried that the Valium wouldn't have the desired effect. And, I admit, after 10mg, all the effect I felt was a little light-headed and my brain seemed to be operating a few steps slower than usual. Essentially, I felt like I do when I only get an hour or two of sleep. I don't think the Valium helped keep me calm or anything; I know how I react when I'm scared or nervous about something, and that's pretty much how I acted during the procedure. When I had back surgery, they didn't give me any calming drugs and I remember I felt, and acted, then the way I did today. Do most people get loopy on 10mg of Valium?

    Afterwards, I had a headache. It wasn't so much centered around the LASIK as, I think, from the speculum used to keep my from blinking. The pain was located right about at the crease of the eyelid, but underneath it, if that makes any sense. My vision was still blurry, and it looked like I was moving through a thick fog.

    During the procedure, there were a few moments when you go blind. Some people panic. I found I didn't much mind that. I knew it was coming, I knew it was temporary, and I just pretended the room had gone dark. During the actual LASIK procedure, with the laser reshaping my cornea, there was a green light to look at. I'd been afraid of that part because I wasn't sure I couldn't keep my eye from wandering. I just kept repeating to myself: "Watch the green. Focus on the green. Okay, you can't see the green, but you know where it was, so just stare at that point, and it'll come back." And it did.

    I was a little worried that everything was so cloudy afterwards, but they told me that was normal. And I definitely had doubts when Dr. Planchard told me that, even as it was then, I was almost legal enough to drive. It makes me wonder just how clearly some of the drivers out there really are!

    My brother and I stopped for dinner at Hong Kong City on the way home because I needed to eat before taking the Prednisone and I was in no mood to cook. He found it amusing to note I ate my meal with my eyes closed. He had to get my plate, and I admit I was surprised that he did a good job of selecting things for me. :) It didnt' seem to occur to him that I might need a guiding hand walking to the car - but I won't hold that against him. I was, after all, giving him driving directions from the hospital to the restaurant! :D

    After getting home, I signed on just long enough to let my friend Hope know that things had gone well. She's East Coast, and a doctor, and I knew she was waiting to hear but couldn't stay online forever. After that, I crashed - and fretted that I still wouldn't be able to see very clearly before I ran out of time to upload my reading journal assignment. But man - a three hour nap and there was a WORLD of difference!!! My eyes now feel kinda dry, but no worse than they've felt when I've worn contacts for the last few years. The eyeshields are annoying, but they're only for today, and then for the next five nights, to keep me from rubbing my eyes while the cornea heals.

    But now the headache is coming back, so I should probably try to sleep again. Tomorrow...will be much more clear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the successful LASIK procedure! I can't imagine what it must be like to be free of glasses/contacts. I've had my glasses/contacts since I was 13 for astigmatism. I hope that I am brave enough one day to go through the procedure ... I've seen them do the procedure on TV and that coupled with the crazy eye contraption used in A Clockwork Orange is enough to scare me off for a long time!

    All the best!

    Jamie Lunt-Wilhelm
    English 226

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, congratulations. I'm sure your eyesight will be much better now.

    K. Smith
    Eng. 226

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fred and I are admiring your page.

    K. Smith & Fred Clark
    Eng. 226

    ReplyDelete